Monday, August 25, 2008

Wrist on the mend

On Saturday afternoon, I was able to do a swim at the Y, wearing the wrist guard. Pretty weird swim for me though. The first 400 M or so, I literally felt like I was on the verge of drowning. I just could not get enough air. I was swimming 1:45 100's, which is (sadly) a typical pace for me, where I'm pushing hard, but not to my limits. Nonetheless, I just couldn't get enough air. This was really depressing, particularly since I was rested. It was the afternoon, and the water felt waaay too hot for me. I was considering just stopping at 800M (what?!). But, I kept on pushing through and finished what was my old workout, of 1600M continuous freestyle. When I was driving to the pool, I was thinking that I'd do 3400M, so I was pretty bummed. I've got to get a lot of pool time in this week and fix that right away, since I've got the Gatorman coming up.

Today, the wrist felt good enough to bear weight, so I rode into work. I got some good sleep last night, so I was able to do my long route into work this morning (up Torrey hill, and back down, then up Sorrento Valley Blvd). After yesterday's depressing pool session, this ride cheered me up as I told myself as I set out from home to get ready for some suffering. I pushed really hard, and my lungs and my legs rose to the occasion. I kinda shocked one runner as I was sprint climbing the small hill into Solana Beach, because I was breathing so hard, but I don't care. If I'm not pushing that hard, then I'll never be ready for racing. Nope I'm not the fittest or fastest guy, but I'm trying my damn hardest when I'm out there.

Speaking of which, one thing that consistently bugged me in the Olympics was the commentators making what verged on derogatory comments about some of the athletes. I mean look, these people have committed themselves to a goal, day in and out, gotten to the Olympics, besting many of their fellow countryman, who were no doubt super-committed also, and are now competing against the best athletes in the world in their sport. I mean jeez, you think that these people aren't busting their humps, under that extreme pressure, trying to give their 110% best effort? To me the Olympics, are just so awesome, and humbling, for the commitment that these athletes have. Win, lose, or crumble under the pressure, they have my deep respect. One comment that particularly bugged me was the live blogging of the Triathlon, where the supposed expert blogger calls the guys trying to make the breakaway on the bike stage "pretenders, not contenders". What a cheap shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment