Thursday, August 21, 2008

5.5 Mi paddleboard, and another 1/2 Marathon run

Tuesday was a bike ride day, but I didn't get enough sleep, so I just did the direct, 14 mile route, into work instead of the 23 mi Torrey up and back loop.

Wednesday went for a 5.5 mi paddleboard from Cardiff to the white buoy off of Moonlight and back. I was pretty stoked, since it was my first time paddleboarding, and I was able to knee paddle a good deal. It's is fairly difficult to maintain your balance while doing it, even if you've surfed before, so I was happy about being able to get up a number of times, and find a good power stroke rythm. Kinda kept pace with my buddy who loaned me the board, and does it a lot. He got ahead of me, but didn't really have to wait up too much, but he also informs me that he's slow relative to the regular group. Guess I'd better buck up and get in some more paddleboarding. Anyway, water was beautiful, and it was a great trip, until the end when I nose dived the paddleboard riding a wave in, and caught my wrist in the water bottle cage. Thought I broke it, fortunately not. Terrible timing too, since when I rode my bike back to home, and was getting ready to leave for work, discovered a totally flat back tire on my truck from a big-ol screw in the tread. Had to jack and change the tire pretty much entirely left handed. Every time I accidentally tried to use my right hand for anything, I was quickly reminded of my mistake by a lovely sharp pain running from wrist to elbow.

Today I ran my 1/2 marathon route, and improved on my time. Unfortunately, when I got done, 3 bad things happened: 1) my arm/wrist was *really* aching/throbbing from yesterday's injury, 2) I wasn't running carefully enough, maybe thumping my feet down when tired, and my knees were really aching and continue to be that way, and 3) I didn't pay close enough to making sure that the front part of my laces were tight, and I managed to get blisters on my toes. Dang, it's been kind of a bummer week, in spite of the good training.

No comments:

Post a Comment