Monday, August 4, 2008

Double Swim Weekend

Coming off of a pretty fun weekend. Saturday was the fun, but not very well attended, inagural event of the Xterra Surf Monkey. I did the continuous 1 Mi swim (I think it was shorter than stated), and 5K beach run. It was really fun, but I don't think they posted any results online, and I didn't stick around to check the board since my two girls were heading off camping and I had to get home to take care of my son.

Sunday was the Tour of Buoys. I did the 1.5 mile portion. The 5 mile event was really excellent to watch at the start because all swimmers in that event had to be paired with a kayaker. So there was tons of kayaks with all the colors of the rainbow floating just offshore on a balmy, lake-calm, 70 degree water La Jolla morning. I ended up swimming much more than 1.5 miles because of my continually terrible sighting, but the water was warm and beautiful, and I had a great time sprinting as hard as I could on the last leg, knowing that there was no bike (or run) afterwards. Even so, elderly women still beat me - sad, and embarrassing! Needless to say, I left a way too much in the tank on the first 2 legs, misjudging my needed reserves just a little bit. Added to that, I kinda made a bit of a goofball of myself at the end of the race. I was so amped up coming out of the water, that I basically sprinted up the beach as hard as I could go through the finish line. The lady taking down the finisher numbers was so shocked at me, she yelled pretty harshly, "SLOW DOWN!" I guess my triathlon thinking did not translate well into the pure swimming world where it's what you do in the water that counts. In recalling the moment it seemed that the people surrounding the finish were kinda shocked as well. I watched other people finishing after me, at it seemed that the idea is to exit the water pretty casually. Oh, well, even that couldn't spoil such an awesome day.

Rounded the whole great weekend out by taking my son (6) and two of his friends down to see the AVP finals at Mariner's Point, and saw some amazing play, and a bunch of the people from our volleyball crew there too.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dan - Thanks for the comment on the vineman course preview, and the kind words about my blog! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete