Sunday, August 17, 2008

Solana Beach Playa Del Run

The Solana Beach stop of the Zoot Playa Del Run was today. Very fun event, great venue (Fletcher Cove), and perfect weather and water temp. I've been swimming all week at the beach with my kids and decided to do the 1K swim without goggles. This was really nice because sighting the buoys was much easier (for me anyway), and I found it much less disorienting. Too bad I outswam the set wave on the way in. Man, that run up the ramp to transition is tough, but it makes you feel good as you're gutting it out on the way up. Sure it's no IronMan effort, but it's still fun. The 5K run was flat and fast, and I posted 7 min 15 sec miles by my watch (a new personal record). The times posted on the results page however, show 8 min miles, but that includes my sucky slow transition because my lame feet need socks in order to run. Me, and I guess from the results, Scott Schiff, ended up pushing each other pretty hard (for us anyway) on the last 3/4 mile or so. It helped my run time out a lot - thanks Scott! Really a fun group a people there today.

Afterwards, went to help out the cleanup effort from a good friend's 40th bday, along with some others who were at the party last night. Our kids all played, and we all poked along, cleaned up, aided by lots of beverages, and some excellent food remaining from the party. Finished off with one final trip to the beach (Cardiff), with the kids all surfing and boogie boarding. Excellent x 10 week!

No comments:

Post a Comment