Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fall weekend of training

Finally cooling down in Encinitas, and feeling a little fall like. I'm enjoying the drop in temps, but looks like we have a Santa Ana on tap for tomorrow. Maybe some surfing is in order.

Saturday was a 2200M swim at the Y. Nothing spectacular for pace: 1:49 / 100M, but good enough. The water was insanely hot though. Afterwards, asked another swimmer if he thought so, and he told me the family pool is out of commission so they bumped the temp up in the lap pool. I hope it's fixed soon, I was really over-heating, even at that moderate pace, and felt pretty dizzy from it.

Today was my return to the half marathon distance on my usual route (2 loops). First loop felt great, being a nice, cool, breezy day. When I got back to my house to start the 2nd loop, I skipped the banana that I left at my gate, and just grabbed my water. BIG MISTAKE. By the time I was making the turn at the Solana Beach sign, I was beginning to bonk big time. My pace was dropping, even though my HR was at a mere 160BPM. The remainder of the run was just survival and suffering for lack of energy. I told myself that there would be no walking, and stuck to it, but I've never been so glad to be done as when I got home again.

13.1 miles, 1:59:34, avg pace 9:08 min / mile :-(

On the plus side:
- I turned my fastest 3 mi distance ever for me, 21:38, or an average pace of 7:13/mi
- I got a good full distance test of my shoes (worked great)
- and got to plot everything (as sad as the times are) using my new Garmin 305 (it rocks)

2 comments:

  1. hey Dan! james just told me about your blog- AWESOME! its so great to keep track of all these things...you AND your dad rock- i totally saw him in the "FOG" podium! (fast older gentleman)

    uh oh...i swim at encinitas master's. you think it will be hot tomorrow morning? by the way- stop swimming on your own and come to masters! it will change your swimming.

    nice run today...a good bonk is good practice in case you bonk on race day- you now know you can power through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beth, thanks for the kind words. Great first season for you! It was certainly one to be envious of. Go kill it in LV 26.2 and you should definitely get Iron in 09.

    That's one powerful homestead you have over there. Between you and James, you've definitely won the combined household highest North County training hours, and podiums award for sure!

    ReplyDelete