Monday, October 13, 2008

7.6 Mile Paddleboard

No waves today, so went paddleboarding instead this morning with my buddy Trey Foshee. Started at Cardiff reef and paddled to the Del Mar powerhouse and back (route here). On the down current / down wind leg heading to Del Mar, I paddled the shorter and slower of the two boards. Heading back (the harder direction), Trey put me on the longer/faster board. The wind really kicked up on the leg back north. It was supposed to be a Santa Ana today, but the wind was coming straight out of the north during that leg. Good thing I was on the bigger board, because it took everything I had to get back to Cardiff. Trey, on the other hand, just crushed it. He was paddling the short, stubby, push-all-the-water-in-front-of-you-board, and he was still killin me. He was so far ahead that I lost sight of him until Seaside reef where he was waiting on me (he should've just finished), and freezin his butt off because the north wind was now ripping.

I was glad to get back, but it felt great! Next time I'll bring a clif bar or something if we paddle that long. I almost repeated my bonk episode of yesterday's run. Some people never learn!

7.6 Miles, 2 hrs 15 min, 3.38 MPH pace

One interesting thing I find about paddleboarding is that it's much less cardio than running, swimming, or even biking. Even at the end of that long paddle, I was not tired in the way that I am after a hard swim, bike or run. It seems more of a long endurance push of strength in the shoulder and arm muscles. Perhaps if I was more of a paddler, and stronger at it, I could ramp my pace up enough to make it cardio. Even so, I really enjoy it. It's so excellent being out on our beautiful north county ocean, particularly on a day like today, and be entirely under your own power.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I've never paddleboarded but it looks like such fun. I HAVE to try it someday.

    ReplyDelete