Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Rest : the wonder drug

In the weeks following the Silver Strand Half Marathon, I'd been very bummed out. Running while compensating for a blister on that day really messed me up.

On two runs attempted in the weeks following, even though I ran short distances at very moderate paces (tortise-like paces compared to some people I follow), I was having extreme pain in both knees, and my left hip. I was really worried that I'd done something very bad. On the third run attempt it was so bad that I had to stop within 1oo yds - my wife and kids were surprised to see me back, and I was depressed. I didn't want to talk or write about it for fear that doing so would make it real.

So, I stopped running, and hoped that with some rest, my body could heal itself, but in my paranoia, I doubted that it would. I was really worried about my left knee in particular, thinking that maybe I'd tore a meniscus or something.

Fortunately, the busy schedule with Thanksgiving, my kids campouts, etc. have managed to keep my mind off of it a bit, but then...

Getting the early registration notice for the Wildflower triathlon brought the worries back to the forefront. Should I shell out $220 (wow) for a race that I might not even be able to do? What about the CA 1/2IM? As you can see, I'm a worrier.

This past week, though, brought some happinees since I've been pain-free while walking, and the weather has been fabulous. This morning I felt like I've given it enough time, and decided to give it a go again.

Wow, soooo much better. Yeah, there was a little pain in the left knee during the hill climbing parts, but I feel like it's going to get better, and the hip and right knee were totally pain free.

I had forgotten how much I missed my morning runs down along Cardiff to the Solana Beach sign and back, and this morning was absolutely glorious. Wind free, quiet, and extremely clear. What an amazing sunrise, and the clarity and peace that comes to my head cannot be beat.

After the run, I was like a giddy school kid after a goal-scoring soccer game.

So, my Christmas present has come early this year, and I'm thankful that the gods of rest have smiled upon me.

5 comments:

  1. oooh! i'm so happy you are okay! its always better to not talk about it and make it go away :)...

    sounds like a nice run on the coast too....
    wildflower will be awesome! i want to do it one day, but am currently not sure of my abilities to race and camp at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Dan. Taking time off is something I can't quite compell myself to do. I'm envious of your fantastic weather there. Now you get to enjoy it at faster-than-walking speed. It's good to see that you're well again. I'll be running XC Nats in freezing rain and snow in the mud on Saturday when temps will dip to 7 degrees. Jealous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the good vibes you two!

    Beth : I logged in this morning to change my posting because I realized that I subconsciously stole this line from your blog "because once you talk about it it is real" - funny

    Michael : sleet+7degrees = MWB is tough as nails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm stoked to hear you are feeling good. You have pleny of time to get ready for Wildflower. Just ease back into things and you will be fine... and I agree... there is NOTHING better than a morning run.... NOTHING!

    and early season running races?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're feeling better. It's not fun to have your workouts taken away from you by something out of your control!

    I think the Wildflower entry is a reasonable price. All half-IMs are going to be in the $200s, and because it's such a popular race, I'm surprised it's not more $$! I mean, how cool: camping and racing all together for a weekend, the ultimate!

    I've already put out more than $500 in '09 races so far, and I'm not even done with my full itinerary, ha. So, I don't know if I'm going to do Wildflower this year. Hm.

    Also, thanks for your words of encouragement for the Xterra trail run. Man, was that a killer race!

    Happy holidays....

    ReplyDelete