Monday, July 21, 2008

Looking Forward

Did so badly on the run at the Carlsbad triathlon (~8:40/mi), that I decided I can no longer just get by on the run. Last Friday, I ran my all out fastest to my 5K mark at Seaside reef. I only managed 7:20/mi, and the guys winning my age group are at 6:00/mi.

Saturday, had a nice, very early morning ride to Oceanside and back for about 26mi. As I was riding back, I realized that if I showered quickly, I could drive up and watch the Pendleton International triathlon. I was really bummed about this one because I tried to sign up on June 11th, but it closed out on June 10th. Anyway, I happened to see my neighbor Bonnie as she was coming out of the water, and cheered her on. She ended up winning her AG! Very impressive. I had sent out this email to the guys in my neighborhood trying to fire them up to do Solana Beach with me. None of them really responded with any interest, but Bonnie said she thought she would do one. And she did, and wins her AG! Dang I'm envious. Go Bonnie!

Sunday I thought about Pendleton, and decided I'd better get onto some longer distances. Today I ran a 10K (seaside reef and back). I only managed 9:20 miles, but it was a beautiful morning, and I was happy that I finished it without feeling too dead.

Then, today at work, a lightning bolt hit me. I had been wanting to do Iron Man California 70.3. It's in Oceanside so it's easy to get to. It's a 1/2 IM, so I'd be ramping up my distance towards an eventual full IM, and it's about the right amount of time for me to train. Big problem though - it falls right on the first day of my family trip to Kauai. I had been bemoaning this unfortunate coincidence for a couple of weeks, until today when I rembered that we haven't purchased our plane tickets yet because the prices were sooooo high. I figured out that I could have Nadine and the kids go ahead, I could do the IM California, then fly out the next day to meet them. I called Nadine right away at work. No answer - the anticipation was killing me - would IM California close out today? Nadine called me back later in the day, and was OK with heading out first with the kids. She was really supportive of my goal. I was stoked. What a great day.

Can't wait for Solana Beach this weekend. My 71 year old dad is doing his 2nd tri with me. Both of our 1st tri's was the Moore's UCSD tri down at Mission bay this year. What a great year it's been.

No comments:

Post a Comment